I cut, ground and sanded the strut ends to create clearance for the triple puck calipers, trying to align the cutouts so as to leave as much material as possible on the strut, have as much strength as possible, and still leave the caliper approximately vertical so that I could bleed it easily later on.
I then made two 1/16" aluminum backing plates. I glassed 3 BID around the strut end, and then floxed the backing plate in place. I put a flox pad on the outside of the strut and clamped the flox, BID, strut, BID, flox, and backing plate between two flat wooden blocks. I used a combination of Eric Westland's and Norm Balog's technique to align the outer flox pads. I taped slits onto the end of the 20" nose gear torque tube and then used this tube to accurately point the wooden block at the inner wall markings (for toe-in). I adjusted the clamps until the blocks were aligned, and then let it cure.
After trimming and sanding the layup, I clamped the axles in place and drilled out the 1/4" axle mounting holes through the strut and the backing plate. I test mounted the axles with the brake calipers and adjusted the strut clearances. Then I built up the main wheels and tires and test mounted everything in place on the axles.
I've got a few pictures (B&W) of Mark and Nadine Parmalee's installation of their MATCO gear as well. It's slightly different than mine, but the basic idea is the same:
The plans call for the nylaflow brake tubing to go through holes in the landing gear bulkhead to fittings inside the fuselage. I felt that this would make the Landing Gear Strut more difficult to remove. The Matco brakes had also come with a larger diameter brake tubing and fittings. In order to use these, and to ensure that the landing gear could be removed completely, I made an aluminum manifold with 1/8" pipe threads on either side. I floxed this manifold into the front landing gear bulkhead so that there would be permanent 90 degree elbows for the brake lines both inside the fuselage and inside the landing gear well. Looking back on this now, it seems a bit superfluous, but it will make removing the landing gear brake lines somewhat easier. You can see the manifold here prior to floxing, along with the landing gear box cover and sides prior to final glassing:
After glassing that, the long journey through Chapter 9 was over. On to Chapter 13!
[Zeitlin's Cozy MKIV Information]
[Zeitlin's Cozy MKIV Logbook]|
[Cozy MKIV Information]