I then used friction tape and duct tape to build up the joggles around the cover area, and microed and glassed the outside of the cover. You can see the result of that here.
After this cured, I flipped the cover over, and sanded away most of the Urethane foam, to leave aproximately 1/2" - 3/4" of foam with smooth corners. You can see that here:
I then put the landing gear cover away for a while, since I didn't have the landing gear strut yet, and couldn't finish fitting it in order to glass the bottom surface.
After I fitted and mounted the landing gear strut, I was able to return to the cover. I trimmed it to fit around the strut, and then laid up 1 BID all over the bottom. I laid up 3 BID strips along the edges as reinforcments and spacers. Here's a view of the bottom layup prior to trimming:
After cure and trim, I drilled and tapped the aluminum slugs in the fuselage, and screwed the cover in place. I then micro'ed the surface of the cover, as well as the surrounding area to get a smooth, flat surface.
[Zeitlin's Cozy MKIV Information]
[Zeitlin's Cozy MKIV Logbook]|
[Cozy MKIV Information]